Today is the day: the Ginghamalong submission deadline. And, thankfully, I actually have a completed object!
This is a Colette Patterns Negroni shirt. I made size XS without any adjustments. It is made from a gingham quilting cotton that I purchased at Joann Fabrics. The buttons are from my stash. (Rest assured, the hem is even. The way the shirt is hanging off the mannequin and the angle of the picture make it look way off. . .)
I decided to have a little bit of fun with the checkered pattern by cutting the back yoke and the sleeve cuffs on the bias. I think it is my favorite part of the finished shirt! It just adds a nice little touch to it.
I don’t really have a ton to say about this shirt. The pattern is excellently drafted, and I just love the instructions. The first men’s shirt I made had several head scratching moments, and the finished project left much to be desired, but since then I have made two or three more. This one was a piece of cake! Since I knew the overall construction of the shirt so well by now, I annoyed my husband by randomly exclaiming how much I loved such and such a part. The sleeve cuff was one of the most difficult parts before, but now it is one of my favorite steps. It just ends up looking so professional!
One of the best parts of this pattern is the fact that it was designed to have all of the inside seams finished without having to use the serger. The instructions are so clear on how to make the flat felled seams, or where to fold this seam allowance over that one. I just love how it makes the insides look just as good as the outside.
I did omit the pockets and the little loop at the collar. I am personally not a fan of the loop, and it is an extra step that I don’t mind eliminating. I decided against pockets since this shirt is for my younger brother who doesn’t use them much. It also meant saving time so I could make the deadline!
That’s all for today! I’ll be back soon with a dress refashion I did a couple of weeks ago.
Jolly day to you!