I sewed up this dress last year for the Fourth of July. I am almost positive that I used McCall’s 6891, but I don’t have the pattern in front of me to double-check. I used a quilting cotton and red buttons from Joann, and the lace around the armholes is from my stash .
I didn’t have to make any major changes to this pattern in order for it to fit. I might have done a FBA, but I don’t remember for sure. I did use a circle skirt instead of the more subdued skirt that the pattern required. I wanted to get that retro/vintage 1950’s look.
There is a bit of a story behind this fabric. I actually purchased it in 2014 with the intent of making a July 4th dress, but never ended up getting around to it. A year rolled by and I decided to finally cut into the “precious” fabric. It was a good decision! I didn’t worry too much about pattern matching the fabric since the stripes were so small, and I rather like the fun way that the stripes ended up laying.
I am also wearing a me-made crinoline underneath. I need to get crinolines figured out! This one is actually only the second or third I have sewn up. The first one was made following this tutorial way back when I first started sewing, and, in my ignorance, I threw it in the washer and dryer more than once, which has reduced its fluffiness significantly. This time around, I wanted it to be super puffy. I didn’t have the time to do it correctly with the tiers and whatnot that help achieve the desired floof, so I pretty much just gathered a ton of tulle into a smaller waistband. Unfortunately, I did not pull the elastic in the waist tight enough, so the crinoline has a tendency to sag. Ah, well. Now I know for next time!
Jolly day to you!
The hair scarf I am wearing is the Brigette Scarf by Tilly and the Buttons. You can follow her fantastic tutorial here.